Thursday 3 October 2013

School Magazine Front Cover - 1st draft

 
  I have designed two draft covers for my school magazine so that I can develop my ideas and decide what one I prefer to create and develop into my final cover. I came to a conclusion that I liked certain aspects of both drafts so I decided to combine both of them together to create my final draft cover that I could adjust and develop during the creation of it.

 
 This is my combined draft.I have decided to use the same masthead ,the same layout and the same splash as the left hand side draft. But I have swapped my main images around so that my final draft now has a female sixth former on the front cover. I have changed my pull quote completely to match the genre of my combined draft cover, so that it fits in with my splash better. I have mixed and matched some of the sell lines in my drafts to create better stories for the magazine becuase I thought that the left hand side draft was too much about music and the right hand side draft had too much leaking information about healthy eating and exercise. I chose the colour scheme of the front cover to be red, black, yellow and white seen as research had proven that this was the regular colour scheme for magazine covers.
 
 
 
The masthead of my magazine is "School Times". I chose this masthead because it's got a similar sound to some popular magazine that already exits. I think it's catchy and fits in well with the school genre and is straight the point, telling the readers immediatley what the magazine is about to catch their interest. I decided to have the title in red with a black background so that the masthead stands out and also due to the fact red and black are well known colours that work well on magazine covers. I want the font of my masthead to be bold and striking so that it catches many viewers attention and also so that it is easy to read. Also i decided to use capitals for my masthead so that it shows the importance of the information the magazine is going to give it's reader, it suggest it has top exciting news.
 

The pug I have designed is straight forward, its not very creative and doesnt have much infromation on it. I did this so that it would get the advertisement across and let the readers know that they are getting a better price than usual, which would help increase customers. I put the sign £1 in a bigger font and in bold so that the new price would be clearly evident and would easily catch their eye. The fact that its bold and in a bigger font in constrast to "usually £1.95" gives the reader the impression that it is a good discount and is important for the readers to know that the magazine have improved thier price. showing that they are loyal to their costumers wants. I chose the background colour of the pug to be yellow so that it would stand out and be in constrast to surrounding headings, such as the masthead and header bar which are in black and red.

                                 
 
 
 I chose to have a header bar so that it would reveal more information on the front cover, it has the advantage of containing infromation in a highlighted bar to show the importance of the news being given to the readers. Also header bars and footer lines are more likely to be to be read than sell lines, which are surrounded by loads of information. So i decided to put important information in my header bar, we all know that school uniform rules are formal and must be read to be able to follow. I decided to use the colours red and black so that it would stand out. Red symbolises danger, showing that school pupils will be in trouble if they dont follow the correct formal uniform rules. Also i used the reversed colours of the masthead (black background, red font) so that they would look good together. I put the words "this weekly" in capitals to emphasise the fact its updated information.
 
 
 

 
 The sell lines I have chosen have a variety of stories, to gain a mix target audience. The stories I have chosen on the front cover can appeal to many different types of people such as people who are interested in drama, sports, muisc and comedy. Also I decided to involve some important information such as exam techniques to infrom pupils that there will be help for them, so that some pupils will still apreciate reading a magazine in their free time when they could be studying because they are recieving advice. This will help gain a lot of customers. These stories are there to give hints to the reader which will make them more interested in reading the magazine. I have decided to have the font of the sell lines in black so that it doesnt overcome any other factors of the magazine such as the masthead and splash. I decided to use the colour red for the word "exam" to highlight the importance and so that it stands it in comparison to other sell lines.
 
 

 
I chose the splash of my magazine to be called "The attix because its the acoustic double act that the magazine is interviewing. The singer attends King Henry's Sixth Form and I thought it would be interesting to have an interview on an aprecieted pupil for their talent. Also many pupils would be intreaged by this information if they are a music fan. The Attix are currently doing many local gigs which helps represents the school in the communitity. The font size is a lot bigger than other writing on the front cover because its the most important story revealed in the magazine. Also i decided to use capitals so that the splash would really stand out when looking at the cover of the school magazine. I used the colour yellow so that its bright and intense compared to the mathead. The splash of the school magazine also lead to development of the pull qoute "how we came up with our name" which gives the readers a hint of the facts revealed in their interview.
 

My main image links in with the splash of the magazine. It is a sixth form female that is the main singer of the acoustic double act. I have decided not to have the main image as a regular pupil in the school because it doesn't relate to the stories revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment